Pages

Subscribe Twitter

Friday, July 29, 2011

My heroes.


My grandpa and George W!

My grandpa died a few years ago, but his memory will always live in my heart. He was my favorite person in the world. Before he died he was able to meet then-President Bush and received an autographed picture of that moment. That photo, carefully protected by a wide, leather frame, now sits in a special corner of our living room. I swear to God, I wish I was able to witness the moment my two heroes shook hands! My grandfather fully supported the Iraq war. When he was just a young man toiling away in the Philippines, he joined as a guerilla fighter and served alongside American troops in liberating the country. He knew the cost of war, but knew the importance of freedom as well. My grandfather loved to write. Here's a quote from one of his writings (Time, 03/2003) that I would like to share with you:
In the Western classic film High Noon, citizens of a frontier town don't know what to do when they hear that a dreaded gang of bandits is riding in. At first they are in denial, fervently hoping the desperadoes won't sack their homes and businesses. In the end, they flee, leaving only the sheriff Will Kane, played by Gary Cooper, to face the approaching evil. Many people will disagree with me, but I liken George W. Bush to Will Kane. While other leaders are confused and undecided about the terrorist threat that Iraq poses to the world, President Bush is clear and focused. On Iraq, he is the brave sheriff. If the U.N. Security Council blocks the President's call for a posse to engage Iraq and he decides, like Kane, to go it alone, we should not stand in the way. After all, we, too, stand to gain... As a then member of the Philippine guerrilla resistance against Japan, I was proud to count Americans as my comrades-in-arms. We fought together in a common cause, and I witnessed many of them dying for my country. I will never forget that.
Now you know why I fully support GWB. :) Ugh, now I'm totally reminiscing - about grandpa, our family, my childhood (for some reason!). Life may have its ups and downs, but I really love it, and I'm so thankful for it. Oh speaking of my childhood, I came across a miserable looking picture of myself back when I was.... gosh, I don't know how young I was, but wow, I didn't look too happy. lol! I love flipping through old albums, I looked so awkward back then, bangs and all!



Awww. I think I sort of remember this day. lol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

That is a totally great story. A nice tribute. Your grandpa was a heroic guy. Thanks for sharing.

I was lucky enough to see George Bush deliver a talk in my home province of Saskatchewan. He spoke about his Presidency, professional and family relationships, regrets, and his hopes for the future. He was very candid, articulate, and quite funny too. He was very much unlike the bumbling fool that the mainstream media has always tried to portray him to be.

Yes. Life is great. Guys like your grandpa and "W" know what it costs to make it that way......but you know that.

Dave

Sweetface24 said...

Dave, you're welcome.

And wow, you're lucky you got to see GWB give a speech.Bet he was fifteen different shades of awesome! It's a shame the mainstream media always made him look like a fool- especially that douche David Letterman. Ugh. Have you read his book? It's so cool!

He's got a huge interview with NatGeo on the 28th, so I'm totally excited to see that. :D :D :D

Anonymous said...

I have not gotten around to the GWB book yet. It's on my short list. I'm reading Donald Rumsfeld's "Known and Unknown" right now. It's great to see that people who worked with GWB think he's fifteen shades of awesome too. He was way above my expectations. Very relaxed, honest, and genuinely funny.

Since it's been 10 years after 9/11, I hope that there will be some honest discussion in the media and I pray that the conspiracy crap will have finally lost its legs.


Dave